Friday, June 24, 2011

The Algae Wars

Ever since I added the Trumpet and Acan frags I've started getting outbreaks of Cyano and Green Hair Algae.  After lots of reading, I decided to give hydrogen peroxide dosing a try.

First I added 2.5ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide directly into the tank.  It pissed off all the corals like I couldn't believe!  The Zoas closed up tight, the Trumpet shrunk down to nothing, and the Acan slimed like crazy.  I wasn't too thrilled with that, but after about 12 hours the Zoas and Acan were back to normal, and the Trumpet was starting to re-inflate.  I could see the algae looking a little unhappy.

I figured since I was due for a water change today, I'd try dipping the rocks while I was at it.  I took 3 gallons out of the tank and kept it in a bucket.  I put 2 cups of the water into a large bowl, and added 2 cups of hydrogen peroxide.  I'd dip each rock for 2-3 minutes, and then put them into the bucket of old tank water.  When they were all dipped I re-filled the tank with fresh saltwater and put the rocks back in.

I was completely unable to replicate my 'scape, and am very unimpressed with the way it looks now.  I foresee many adjustments in the next day or two.  In the meantime, the tank is really cloudy, the corals are again extremely unhappy, and the whole thing just generally looks like crap.  I can only hope in a few days everything will be getting back to normal, and the algae will be in full retreat.

What a pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment